The Library of STUFF is a community library of good quality items that is shared amongst its members.
The Library of STUFF is a project of Mullum Cares Incorporated. It provides affordable access to quality goods for the Byron Bay Shire community, including individuals, families, businesses and Not For Profit organisations (including schools). Wherever possible, when we purchase new products we do so locally, supporting and promoting local businesses who stock quality products.
The inspiration for the Library came from Annie Leonard’s Story of Stuff documentary that details the detrimental effects of increasing consumption of low-quality products. With cheap, less durable options available, more expensive, longer lasting goods are being purchased less and less and the impact is evident in the increasing volume of waste our communities are producing.
The Library of STUFF serves:
- Everyone – living in the Byron Shire and aged over 18;
- All Not for Profit organisations who require stuff to hold events including schools (think fundraisers) are supported by the Library;
- Local organisations who support disadvantaged community members;
- All gardeners with items that are rarely used and new gardeners with everyday items to reduce start-up costs;
- Handymen/women, kids and those learning how. We have a selection of hand and power tools and a strong partnership with Shedding Community Workshop who exists to upskill our community in the art of using tools;
- Community members in need after damaging weather events – we received a grant from the Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal to ensure provisions are readily available before they will be desperately needed (gurney, fans, heaters, tools, cleaning equipment, etc);
- Families and individuals who are looking for recreational items such as board games, sporting equipment, musical instruments & camping gear;
- Event organisers (from birthday parties to music festivals) who are looking for support to achieve Waste Free outcomes by avoiding single use items including crockery, cutlery, cups, bins & wash tubs as well as marquees and tables.
The Library is currently sharing a space with the Mullumbimby Repair Cafe @ the Byron Community College, on the corner of Gordan & Burringbar Streets in Mullumbimby. Until our large shed is erected we will have limited space so our dreams for canoes, wheelbarrows and other large items are on hold.
The Library of STUFF categories
- DIY – Power & hand tools, accessories including gardening items
- Recreational items – so much goodness in here! Camping gear, board games, sporting & fitness equipment, music and circus gear, water sports items and more
- Sustainable Events – including crockery, cutlery, bunting, marquees and tables for parties and events as well as bins, litter pickers, waste sorting benches and other items to assist event managers